Thursday, May 6, 2010

Summer Lovin' Job and Internships


I know, I know, the last thing you want to hear right now is Get a Job!! All you can think about is counting down the days until "SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER"!! I remember my brother and I rockin' out to that Alice Cooper song every June during our younger years to celebrate the beginning of our 3 months of freedom. Then high school hit and it was time for another tune- "Summertime Blues" (for all my Alan Jackson fans out there).

But lets not get the blues too fast! Think of it this way-not only will a summer job get you some extra cash, but it will also do wonders for your college applications! Especially if its related to something you might want to pursue during or after college. This type of job is called an Internship. According to www.thefreedictionary.com, an Intern is "a student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training." Hey that's you!!

Here are the top 3 Reasons to get an Internships during Summer:

1. Make your college application STAND OUT.
  • Sure working at Jamba Juice or Pizza Hut is an excellent way to make money during the summer, but leave those jobs for your friends. I want you to take it a step further and think of work experience that can strengthen your application based on your interests. Want to get involved in the fashion industry? Apply at Nordstrom! Interested in graphic design? Find a local business that needs help with their website. I wanted to be a journalism major in college so I got in touch with a family friend who owned a magazine and I ended up interning at their office for two summers. It was a great way to learn about the industry and my experience made me STAND OUT! 
2. Find out what YOU are interested in.
  • I know you have heard "what do you want to be when you grow up?" a thousand times, but now is the time to actually answer the question! Like most high schools students you probably have no idea. Well, that's what an internship is for! It will help you learn more about different careers and majors that you might want to study in college. Think you like kids? Volunteer at a Summer Camp. You might realize your dream job is to become a teacher, or you might learn that you would run marathons for a living than spend another day with the little monsters. ;) 
3. Learn the ropes of the Career World.
  • Here is your chance to find out how a real business runs. Sure, you might be fetching coffee or shredding files all day, but you still get to be a vital part of the company for the time being. Ask questions, get to know employees, make the most out it! This will be your first experience with a very important tool in life: Networking. Keep in touch with the people you worked with. You never know, one day they might give you a full time job!
OK, now lets all go get internships!! But wait, where do I find these internships??

The best way to find internships is to first, figure out what you may be interested in, and then turn to your circle of friends and family who might be able to help you. Here is another life lesson peeps: Many times when looking for a job, It's all about who you know, and who they know! Still no luck? Visit your high school counselor, or look online for info on local businesses/opportunities that might appeal to you. Also, look for summer job fairs in your community.

So you have decided you want to be the guy who comes up with the hilarious Jack In the Box commercials one day! Great! Ask a local restaurant or boutique if you could help them with advertising by starting a Facebook group, or passing out flyers. Every experience counts!

Start calling around NOW to get a head start. May is a perfect month to secure your summer job. Here is a sample calling script you can use based on the scripts used at the California Lutheran University Career Center (http://www.callutheran.edu/career_services)

"Hello, my name is (Your Name), and I am currently a junior/senior at (Your High School). I am calling to find out if you might have any needs for a part-time/ full-time intern this summer? I could help with projects, computer work, and clerical needs. I am interested in studying business in college and after reviewing your website, I tthink I could learn a lot by interning at (Name of Company). I wanted to stop by next week and introduce myself so if any part-time/full-time needs arise now or in the next couple weeks, you can keep me in mind."

*Remember, not all internships are paid internships, but the experience you get will be extremely valuable in regards to your college applications, resume, and life skills.

For more information, check out my sources:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment