Friday, May 7, 2010

I have NO IDEA what I want to be when I grow up!


When I was 8, I wanted to be Madonna. When I was 13, I realized Madonna wasn't giving up her day job just yet, so I decided I was going to be a News Reporter. Now at 25, I love College Counseling! Obviously (and thankfully) our interests change over the years as we learn new skills and open our minds to the many different career paths we can take. Sometimes all it takes is a teacher to tell a student how great he or she is in a certain subject to make him or her think twice about pursing it as a career. (That's exactly what happened to me!)

Career Assessments are a great place to start exploring different career paths. All college career centers use assessments as one of their main counseling tools  when a student comes in confused on what major to declare, or what industry would best fit their skills and interests.

Here are some excellent career assessments and activities to get you or you student  thinking about "When I grow up, I wanna be a...."

1. http://www.khake.com/page51.html (K-12, College)
  • Look under Career Quizzes and Skill Assessments. There are numerous career assessments, games, and quizzes for high school and college students 
    • This is a great website for middle school, high school, college students, or adults returning to school. Pick which one describes you and take the quiz, play the game, or watch the videos: http://www.whodouwant2b.com/
  • For Middle School, High School, College students
  • This assessment will help students explore occupations based on their  interests.
For more information on career guidance, career and industry profiles, salaries, and other tools, check out the sites below:
 3. www.wetfeet.com (High School, College)
  •   Info on Company, Industry, and Career Profiles, as well as salary data.
 www.careerinfonet.com (High School, College)
  •  occupation, industry, salary, career tools

No comments:

Post a Comment